Friday, May 20, 2022

CONFRONTING THE ILLUSIVE FISHING CAT IN THE SUBURBS OF COLOMBO....

 Because  it is very illusive and also as it is quite successful in surviving in the suburbs of Colombo over the years , I was fascinated and very eager to make my acquaintance with the Fishing cat for over 5 years . Another reason was that Anya who had started a urban fishing cat conservation  project was putting her full effort to locate and re-locate them  in a conducive environment at Diyasaru Park in Jayawardhanapura kotte which was frequented by me for birding..

As its a nocturnal animal by nature , I got the opportunity to visit Diyasaru Park in the night a few times after contacting Anya and getting the approval from Lad Reclamation and Development Authority hoping  that I would see the animal and could photograph  though the dreaded word DARKNESS for photography  was written all over  and I was unlucky not to confront though once ,one of the camera traps had captured one of them crossing the path a couple of seconds after I had passed  .

However in February this year for 2 days a few had seen 2 cubs with the mum at Thalangama wetland in the morning hours , another place we very much visit for birding and there had been  quite a few times some residents confronting   a cat crossing etc. in this vicinity that we got to know after making inquiries. This was very encouraging and although I went and waited on the third day, unfortunately it had come out around 10.30 after I had left. This missed chance was haunting me badly ever since.

Finally my opportunity came at a time it was least expected as I was hanging in that location with 2 fellow bird watchers on a Saturday in May  at around 8 a.m. We were quite disappointed that there were no photo opportunities on that day and were looking at some Whistling ducks who are very common when from no where a healthy and well built young male came in to the open (could have been one of the cubs ) giving us the minimum amount of time to click some pictures before disappearing and even if it was for a brief movement I was overjoyed and thanked my stars for giving me that rare chance...

This was before it disappeared inside.

This was the first opportunity and had no clue how it came into the open without been able to spot it  before.











No comments:

Post a Comment